<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lolastarhearts.com
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lolastarhearts.com
! * LolaStar Hearts | UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog * !: How to: Clean Silver Jewellery

Friday, August 24, 2012

How to: Clean Silver Jewellery

Today’s post is a little different. Before my Nan died a few years ago she gave me her wedding rings. She was allergic to gold, so all of her jewellery was silver. I never felt comfortable wearing it (too scared I’d lose it!) so I always kept it in my jewellery box. After a long while just sitting in there I saw that it had started to tarnish and turn black – here’s how I got it cleaned up again.

For this mini DIY project I used a Tiffany ring of mine that had gotten a little tarnished by coming into contact with my spot cream – it’s super strong haha!

This isn’t appropriate for gold jewellery, or jewellery with gemstones by the way!

You’ll need everything in this picture – including a kettle!


This is what my ring looked like before.


The back of the ring is what the front it supposed to look like!


Line a small dish with some aluminium foil.


Put your silver jewellery inside.


Add one teaspoon of baking soda (or powder!)


Sprinkle over one teaspoon of salt.


Fill the dish with boiling water.


Wait 30 seconds. If it’s fizzing and smells like rotten eggs then it’s working – gross I know!


Stir & remove, it'll be really hot!


Rinse and brush with an old toothbrush to increase shine.


Voila.


I also did this with a necklace that my mum got me for my 21st and it looks new again!



What are your tips for getting jewellery clean?



Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At August 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM , Anonymous treat_party said...

That's such a lovely ring! And this is a really helpful post, previously I'd only used silver cleaner but this is much easier! x

 
At August 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM , Anonymous Jo said...

Great tip! :)

 
At August 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM , Anonymous alex said...

That's amazing!!! I never knew about this technique before... thanks for sharing :)

fashion-olic.blogspot.co.uk

 
At August 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM , Anonymous Yessie said...

Great tip! I have a Tiffany necklace that needs to be cleaned- def going to try this!

 
At August 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM , Anonymous Melaina25 said...

Totally doing this with my skullie studs right now!

 
At January 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Restore the sparkle of your precious pieces of jewelry such as silver with the help of this informative post. Many of us enjoy wearing our silver accessories but as time passes they can turn dull. With the tips given in this post, we can now have shiny jewelry once again. Thanks!

 
At February 15, 2014 at 3:45 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Some thing is good to take care of jewellery . Silver is great metal that don't loose it's brightness after long time . You can clean your precious jewellery easily and make them again shiny .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home