<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lolastarhearts.com
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lolastarhearts.com
! * LolaStar Hearts | UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog * !: Review: OMG Beauty in Bow Wharf - Mink Lashes & HD Brows

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Review: OMG Beauty in Bow Wharf - Mink Lashes & HD Brows


Long post!

It took me a long time to realise that you really do get what you pay for. If something seems too good to be true then it probably is. However, this usually isn’t the case when it comes to Groupon. Always on the look out for a bargain, I’ve purchased many a Groupon and I’ve always been pleased. So when a deal came up for HD Brows and Mink Lashes for just £16 (a whopping 81% off!) I was sold.


After a bit of googling I realised that the deal was also available on KGB Deals and Wowcher as well, so I shouldn’t have been so surprised when I called for an appointment and was given a date more than three weeks later! I tried to wait patiently and grow my eyebrows out but I caved and got them threaded – blogged here – and I’m SO glad I did.


When I arrived at Bow Wharf and found the salon I was immediately surprised at how tiny it was. And when I say tiny I mean teeny tiny. My bedroom is probably bigger than the whole salon which is saying something, as my room is by no means big!

Anyway, after a little wait for my appointment I was led into the appointment… area? The even tinier space consisted of a treatment bed and a trolley with a packet of lashes on top – erm, individual mink lashes appointment, who invited the packet lashes?! I’d watched a couple of mink lash videos on youtube, so I was prepared to be in the claustrophobic treatment … area … for the next 90minutes at least. However, in less than 15 minutes I was ‘done’.

The girl had explained (read: lied) that the individual mink lashes didn’t give a very ‘full’ look, so if I wanted I could have a few clusters put in just to fill them out. I’m not a fan of clusters but agreed, as I didn’t want them to look too scarce. I was told not to get them wet at all – because that’s possible! – or use anything oily on my face, which again seemed impossible as my face is like an oil slick!

Next were my eyebrows, she waxed off the bits of growth on my brow bone and my emerging mono-brow with the world’s hottest wax. Honestly, she could have poured boiling water over my whole face and it would have burnt less. I’ve never had any waxing done on my face though, and didn’t want to look like a Moany Mindy – but I obviously am! – so didn’t exclaim, and luckily it was over very quickly.

After the burning wax she applied the tint. Very dark eyebrows look too heavy set on me and so I opted for a dark brown instead of black. She applied it and then asked me where I was heading next. I thought it was a little strange, I mean we’d covered the usual salon small talk – where I live, boyfriend, job, going on holiday this summer? – so I wasn’t sure how to answer. I soon realised that she wasn’t making small talk, she was asking because I was finished and was expected to remove the tint myself. WHAT? How does that make sense? People don’t go to the hairdressers, get the hair dye applied and just go home! My mum had her lashes and eyebrows tinted once when I was really young and she didn’t remove the tints herself. However, I was a tinting virgin and wasn’t sure whether that was normal now so I didn’t object to a bit of forced DIY.

After a multitude of questions from me and some very unclear answers from her, I still wasn’t sure when I should be removing the tint. The girl didn’t even look 20 and seemed so blasé about the whole thing that I felt like I was in very inexperienced hands.

I was told not to wipe it off for 20minutes, which was later changed to ‘no more than 45 minutes’. Worried I’d look like a circus act I wiped it off 10 minutes after I left the salon.

Looking in the car mirror I was immediately aware of how stupid the lashes looked. She’d used about 10 individual lashes on each eye and then tried to fill them out with clusters, they looked awful. Some were really long, others were short and stuck together, then there were the awful few that were piled on top of each other. It looked at if the person applying them had done it with their eyes closed! However, my eyebrows did look thicker and definitely more defined – this was short lived though, as it turned out the tint had transferred onto my skin so when I washed my face the ‘thick’ look disappeared and my old brows were back.

In a desperate attempt to fix the lashes I decided to trim down the really long ones thinking that it would make them look slightly better. Wrong. Even though I’d hardly moved them, some of the glue had loosened and I now had hard gunk around my eyes that looked like sleep! That, coupled with my Liz Earle rash? Attractive.

When I woke up the next morning my eyes were really hurting. Bits of glue were falling into my eyes and scratching them as I blinked, so I had no choice but to remove them. I rubbed an oil-based cleanser over my face and around my eyes, which helped loosen the lashes so I could pull them out.

Enough talking, here’s what they looked like.

Just so you know, this was during the time of my Liz Earle rash so please excuse the rash on my face!

BEFORE:









AFTER:

omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review

THREE HOURS AFTER 'TREATMENT':

omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review

So would I go back? HECK NO! Not even if they paid me! I wasn’t the only one who didn’t think much of the treatments at OMG Beauty, here are a few screen grabs of what others are saying on QYPE.co.uk

omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


omg beauty salon bow wharf mink lashes HD brows reviews review


If you’re wondering what proper mink lashes should look like then here it is:


All in all, I’ve learnt my lesson and will not be returning.

However, if you fancy your chances at OMG Beauty then they’ve got another Groupon running. Or you can check out their website here.


Labels: , , , ,

35 Comments:

At June 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM , Anonymous Kayleigh Giles-Johnson said...

Oh my... that sounds absolutely terrible!

I am totally shocked at the fact that you were sent on your way with the tint STILL ON?! That's definitely not normal, when I trained in beauty therapy we let the client relax for 10 minutes before removing the tint with cotton wool, seeking the clients approval in the mirror and finishing up with some toner. And the lashes really are awful, not what you would expect by a professional at all :( so sorry to hear of your bad experience, will be giving that place a miss! 

 
At June 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM , Anonymous lamplikeeyes said...

OMG Lola, I can't believe they did that to you in all seriousness and expected you to walk away happy! Really terrible quality and to tell you the truth, I think your eyebrows looked beautiful before anyway, such a lovely shape. Sorry to hear they gave such poor service. xx

 
At June 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM , Anonymous Diana L Garcia said...

wow that really sucks. I had lash extensions once and I loved how they looked however after sleeping on the some of the lashes started semi falling however they didn't fall all they way because they were glued to my real lashes so they were painful hanging there like a broken limb. Idk it might have been the girl I went with. However the applicated did take like 1-2 hours and I had about 100 individual lashes added on. Try going to a more professional place next time they really can do wonders on the way your eye looks!

 
At June 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM , Anonymous Elise Duxbury-Campbell said...

Oh my goodness!
What a nightmare that sounds.
It really seems like that girl had no idea what she was doing, even scarier to think it was around your sensitive eye area *shudders*
Love, Elise xx

 
At June 13, 2012 at 4:47 AM , Anonymous Lola Omokorede said...

I know! I'm so glad the glue bits didn't do any damage! :( x

 
At June 13, 2012 at 4:47 AM , Anonymous Lola Omokorede said...

I definitely will, learnt my lesson completely! x

 
At June 13, 2012 at 4:48 AM , Anonymous Lola Omokorede said...

I know, it's crazy. As time went on it all just looked worse and worse. Biggest waste of money, so glad I didn't pay full price! x

 
At June 13, 2012 at 4:50 AM , Anonymous Lola Omokorede said...

I thought it wasn't right, but I've never had tints before so I didn't say anything. Wish I had now! Luckily they didn't take! x

 
At June 13, 2012 at 5:05 AM , Anonymous ReeRacoma said...

OMG!! That's crazy! sorry you had to go through that! I hope you'll be able to get the proper mink extension. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

www.reeracoma.com

 
At June 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM , Anonymous Emma107 said...

Wow that salon sounds like it should be shut down! I'm a beauty therapist and it's salons like that that just make me cringe, how on earth do they stay in business with service like that?! The lashes looked terrible and as far as making you take the tint off yourself I've never heard of that before, absolutely ridiculous, it's just pure laziness on her part. Great post xxx 

 
At June 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM , Anonymous Roma said...

Hi Lola,


I randomly
stumbled across your blog because I was googling reviews of this place, OMG
Beauty.  I just went last Thursday after
also waiting 3 weeks for an appointment. Worst. Service. Ever.
I was 5 minutes late and apologetic upon arrival.  I was bursting for the loo and asked the girl
if I could please run to the bathroom before we started.  SHE TOLD ME NO.  She said I was 5 minutes late, and they didn’t
usually see late guests as they are so busy. 
I was horrified and explained that I tried to call TWICE to let them
know, and each time the phone just rang and rang.  And, I might add, they were not busy.  She was chatting with the receptionist when I
arrived, he was playing with her hair.  I
sat down reluctantly and she told me to lie back.  As I did, I noticed the towel on the treatment
bed had hair on it! This place wasn’t even clean. My whole procedure took 15
minutes. She asked me what kind of eyebrow arch and colour I wanted (umm...I
have no idea! Isn’t it your job to advise me?) and as with you, she never wiped
the tint off but DIDN’T TELL ME THAT I WAS SUPPOSED TO DO IT! It just...didn’t
happen.  Being an eyebrow tinting virgin,
I had no idea. Eyelashes took 5 minutes. 
She also gave me clusters to make them look “thicker.” When she told me
to open my eyes, they were burning and streaming from the glue which she said
was normal. She also told me that the blobs of glue would dry and crumble
away.  Really?! Basically the eyebrow
tint came away a few days later and my brows look the same, only tidier. The
eyelash glue was drying to my eyes and was so painful that I ended up plucking
them out with oil and tweezers. Painful! I will NEVER go back, and I am so
sorry to hear that you had as bad of an experience as I had!  I also googled about HD brows after that
fiasco, and HD Brows is a copyrighted service which entails plucking, waxing,
trimming, threading, shaping, and tinting. 
I would guess they are using that name illegally as that is not the
service I had! Nightmare.
On a different note, just had a nose around your blog and I love it! Glad at
least one good thing came from this terrible experience!
-R xx

 
At June 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Hannah said...

I was so close to purchasing this groupon! So glad I didn't! I was abit suspicious when the heading was '3d brows' and thought it would just be a bad, cheap alternative for HD brows. Thanks so much for writing this although it's so unfortunate that you had such a bad experience!
Hannah x confessioncloset.blogspot.com

 
At June 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM , Anonymous Sweetkitty996442 said...

Lola, You poor thing!! Having to go through all of that in the salon and then having to go home and desperately try to put things right yourself. The lashes are awful!! Its so good to read a post thats negative for once (I get sick of reading how 'AMAZING' products are all the time lol), and which alerts people to places like this that really shouldnt be in business at all. I really hope that you have managed to fix your eyebrows and lashes now :-)

Claire

http://beauflutterby.blogspot.co.uk/

 
At June 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM , Anonymous londonchick25 said...

Thanks for this post, they have another deal on and was tempted to go for it. But thought I'd check the reviews first. 
So glad I stumbled across your blog, now I will avoid this place and save my time and money.
I think it's disgusting that salons get away with this, weather you are using a groupon voucher or not eyes are such a sensitive place, they should really know what they are doing before attempting to dye and add lashes.
Thanks for posting such an honest review!! x

 
At June 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM , Anonymous Nadspink said...

OMG!!! I have just experienced the same from that salon today. I rearranged all my plans this evening as the receptionist guy told me that the appointment would take about 1 to 1.5 hours... I was in there for 15min!!! The quality of the lashes (apparently mink...NOT!) we're terrible, the eyebrow wax was uneven, and the tinting??? Well... I can't even tell the difference.
Thanks for this blog... I really hope it helps others as this salon should be named and ashamed. I'm just so happy I didn't pay the full price!!!

 
At June 22, 2012 at 5:19 AM , Anonymous Nida Moughal said...

Your eyebrow looks fine but lashes just look horrible! I feel so bad for you!

 
At July 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am due to go there this Friday as have a special weekend planned, I have been walking around with terrible brows for about 3 weeks now and was sooo looking forward to it, but thinking of cancelling now! Part of me thinks it might be ok this time? Do you definitely think I should cancel?? Thanks

 
At July 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM , Blogger yessie (cinnamonandzoeykisses) said...

How disappointing:/ I bought a similar groupon here in the states and was also shocked when she brought out cheap little lashes?!? they managed ok but am now careful and going to look up the salon better!

 
At July 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM , Anonymous Rachy Rach said...

So glad I read this blog and all the comments. I had my appointment booked for the 6th August, but I just called Groupon and asked for a refund. PHEW! Personally, I would complain to Nilam Patel who established HD brows, her company always tell you to report instances where you feel they have been using the HD brand now falsely. Also, complain to Groupon

 
At July 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM , Anonymous Rachy Rach said...

OMG! I am even more so glad I called groupon for a refund! This is disgraceful

 
At July 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM , Anonymous Emma said...

Apparently I was the first person to call up for a refund, which I find really hard to believe. If this is the case then I would advice people who have purchase this deal or anyone who have had a bad experience to call up for a refund.

Groupon have credited my account, however they could no offer me a cash refund. Better than nothing, I guess.

SPREAD THE WORD.

 
At July 21, 2012 at 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am glad i googled this last night. i had arranged to see them today for the mink eyelashes courtesy of Groupon but having read so many bad reviews i am now going to cancel and ask for a refund. Thanks for the post!

 
At July 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM , Anonymous chantel said...

I have just come back from OMG beauty and I think it stands for OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, the staff were friendly and the place is tiny. the process took about 35minutes , I opted to wash off the tint mYSELF for a better effect so couldnt really see what they looked like until I got home, proper hd brows follow 5 steps, tweezing,plucking,waxing,threading and tinting they only do 4 not the threading. after washing the tint off there was no shape to define my eyebrows, hair everywhere and the tint not every good either. before i even got home i lost 3 lashes the rest were all stuck together and looked horrid. I called them and was told to come back so it can be put right,but tobe honest i dont think its worth the travel fare. I went with these clowns as they do they star from the only way is Essex and all i can say is don't waste your money and time

 
At July 25, 2012 at 3:47 PM , Anonymous chantel said...

I have just come back from OMG beauty and I think it stands for OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, the staff were friendly and the place is tiny. the process took about 35minutes , I opted to wash off the tint mYSELF for a better effect so couldnt really see what they looked like until I got home, proper hd brows follow 5 steps, tweezing,plucking,waxing,threading and tinting they only do 4 not the threading. after washing the tint off there was no shape to define my eyebrows, hair everywhere and the tint not every good either. before i even got home i lost 3 lashes the rest were all stuck together and looked horrid. I called them and was told to come back so it can be put right,but tobe honest i dont think its worth the travel fare. I went with these clowns as they do they star from the only way is Essex and all i can say is don't waste your money and time

 
At July 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM , Anonymous chantel said...

I have just come back from OMG beauty and I think it stands for OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, the staff were friendly and the place is tiny. the process took about 35minutes , I opted to wash off the tint mYSELF for a better effect so couldnt really see what they looked like until I got home, proper hd brows follow 5 steps, tweezing,plucking,waxing,threading and tinting they only do 4 not the threading. after washing the tint off there was no shape to define my eyebrows, hair everywhere and the tint not every good either. before i even got home i lost 3 lashes the rest were all stuck together and looked horrid. I called them and was told to come back so it can be put right,but tobe honest i dont think its worth the travel fare. I went with these clowns as they do they star from the only way is Essex and all i can say is don't waste your money and time

 
At July 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM , Anonymous chantel said...

I have just come back from OMG beauty and I think it stands for OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, the staff were friendly and the place is tiny. the process took about 35minutes , I opted to wash off the tint mYSELF for a better effect so couldnt really see what they looked like until I got home, proper hd brows follow 5 steps, tweezing,plucking,waxing,threading and tinting they only do 4 not the threading. after washing the tint off there was no shape to define my eyebrows, hair everywhere and the tint not every good either. before i even got home i lost 3 lashes the rest were all stuck together and looked horrid. I called them and was told to come back so it can be put right,but tobe honest i dont think its worth the travel fare. I went with these clowns as they do they star from the only way is Essex and all i can say is don't waste your money and time

 
At July 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM , Anonymous chantel said...

I have just come back from OMG beauty and I think it stands for OH MY GOD
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, the staff were friendly and the place is tiny. the
process took about 35minutes , I opted to wash off the tint mYSELF for a better
effect so couldnt really see what they looked like until I got home, proper hd
brows follow 5 steps, tweezing,plucking,waxing,threading and tinting they only
do 4 not the threading. after washing the tint off there was no shape to define
my eyebrows, hair everywhere and the tint not every good either. before i even
got home i lost 3 lashes the rest were all stuck together and looked horrid. I
called them and was told to come back so it can be put right,but tobe honest i
dont think its worth the travel fare. I went with these clowns as they do they
star from the only way is Essex and all i can say is don't waste your money and
time

 
At July 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM , Anonymous mac said...

Absolutely the worst place i have ever been to! stay away!! I had the
mink lashes, definately not mink! they are plastic and are stuck on with
clumpy black glue! most of them have fallen off, those that haven't are
glued on with so much glue that i think i'll have to get them removed
at another salon! I also had the hd brows and waxing, the waxing was a
disaster, my brows are completely different shapes and it missed loads
of hairs, which i'm actually quite glad about because they'll grow back
quicker. As for the tinting the woman didn't actually wash it off!! i've had it done at loads of places before and they always wash it off, I
had to do it myself when i got back to work!!

 
At August 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM , Anonymous reviewer said...

Disgraceful- I was early today so I was sent out as the reception was not big enough. After I came back on my allocated time I was told the beautician was running late. It took a good half an hour for her to see me and I was worried I'd miss my other commitments. The beautician was very rude and unapologetic and spent a mere 15 min on my lashes. Thinking about it she was very handsomely paid (£60 an hour). I was shocked when she said you can't wash your face and don't think she's used proper glue! All an all a pathetic excuse for a salon, not very clean and tidy either. It was also a real nightmare finding the place! Do not purchase the coupon It's actually a very expensive mistake!

 
At August 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM , Anonymous The New Girl said...

If you guys think the lash experience was terrible at OMG, run away, I mean RUN AWAY from the possibility of a bikini wax from that place. I have been totally traumatized. It was terrible, unhygenic, painful and not worth the pain one would normally expect from a thorough waxing. There are tufts of sticky, waxy, unremoved hair on parts of my fanny and legs that I could have basically epilated on my own at home for free but didn't because I wanted someone else to do it quickly and with the vantage point one would expect to get from a paid salon visit. So much for that. BUYER BEWARE.

 
At August 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous Hal said...

Hi, I went for an appointment yesterday and it was the worst experience ever. 20 mins later I was done and my eye were glued shut that the girl had to pull them apart. I have had this treatment before and it usually takes 60-90 mins. The eyelashes look fake as you can see all t he glue at the base that I had to remove them today. Avoid OMG hair and beauty like the plague, a waste of £19! Disappointed :-(

 
At September 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM , Anonymous Vicky said...

Hi girls! I had my lashes done at OMG a week ago and they look beautiful. I had them done with a new lady, she is really nice and professional.. she's called Hannah she said she's only been working in this salon for couple of weeks but before she has been doing lots of lashes in her previous salon. it took her about 1hour 40 min to do my lashes and they looked (and still look) great. feel sorry for you girls that you had such a horrible experience... these are my lashes - I took this pic today

 
At October 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you to all those posted their reviews about OMG. I am saved.

 
At January 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This same groupon is back, so I can't thank you enough for your review. I bought a groupon ipl laser treatment at a 'Harley street' clinic & it was very similar to the omg experience - tiny basement with no proper equipment, proper hygiene or trained staff (she admitted to being the receptionist!). I later found out that the lasers used on groupon & KGB are non-medical grade & therefore pretty rubbish at permanent hair removal. When your specified number of treatments don't give you the results you need, you're urged to buy a few more, which are a waste of time & money. As they're non medical grade lasers, anyone can use them without a licence (hence the receptionist giving it a go). These advertised laser treatments are rubbish & not the real £1000 worth.

 
At February 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for this review!
I don't suppose you have come across a good salon for HD brows?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home