<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lolastarhearts.com
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lolastarhearts.com
! * LolaStar Hearts | UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog * !: DIY Mineral Nail Varnish: BM Beauty in 'Her Majesty'

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DIY Mineral Nail Varnish: BM Beauty in 'Her Majesty'

Picture heavy post!


Last month LuxBox released their first beauty box – blogged here – and whilst I was pleasantly surprised there was item that had popped up in a previous GlossyBox that I really didn’t like.

In theory the BM Eyeshadows are right up my street; they’re mineral based and I love mineral makeup. However, it wasn’t the product itself I had the issue with. The issue was with the colours.


‘Wolf Howl’ and ‘Her Majesty’ respectively, are very glorified names for a garish purple and a very bright pink. I honestly take my virtual hat off to anyone who can pull these colours off, but as a girl who shies away from shadows anyway, these weren’t for me.

Beauty Box Swappers was flooded with these up for swaps, with not many takers so I knew swapping wasn’t an option.


Que brainwave.

I’d heard of some people grinding up their broken shadows and blushes and using them as pigments for nail varnishes, so my loose, garish purple and bright pink were perfect.


Here’s how I did it:


I used an MUA clear nail varnish; at just £1 it’s a complete steal for stuff like this.


SO.


I laid down some paper over the dining table, loose powders can be very messy and I didn’t fancy a new pink table!


I made a little funnel out of a small piece of paper and some sellotape, stuck it in the top of the varnish and tapped the shadow in.


I added about a quarter of the pot, removed the funnel and put the brush back in. Looks like a mini nuclear disaster. (Yes, I’m a geek)



I shook it for about 30 seconds, let it rest for 10 seconds and then shook it again just to make sure that all of the lumps were gone.


This is the swatch after it was mixed in, but I wanted it slightly more pigmented so I repeated the steps again.


Darker swatch.


My new ‘Her Majesty’ nail varnish :) and a whole heap of mess.

Really pleased with how it turned out, the pictures don’t show it well but it’s a very shimmery, golden pink.

I did this with ‘Wolf Howl’ too, but found that the shadow settles quite quickly. If you’ve got some small ball bearings around the house then they’d be perfect to drop in to help you revive the polish when you shake it back together.

Don't limit yourself to loose powders, you can crush pressed powders to use in DIY nail varnishes.

Have you got any powders you’ll be trying this with? Links if you do please :)


Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At May 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM , Anonymous burleyr said...

Really good idea! I'd never thought of doing this, might try it with a clear polish I have no use for :) x

 
At May 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM , Anonymous Sara said...

this is genius!!


http://pretty-in-pink-blog.com

 
At May 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM , Anonymous Sophie Elgar said...

That is a seriously handy tip, I would have honestly never thought of doing that so thank you for sharing. Such an easy thing to do but so useful, I got a pink one in the Glossybox which I will just never use so might give this a go :) 

Sophie xx
duckandegg.blogspot.com

 
At May 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM , Anonymous Helen Tracy said...

This is so awesome! The pigment looks way better as a nail polish in my opinion as well, haha! I'm about to go start grinding up my underused eye shadows now! 

http://drugstorebeautygalore.blogspot.com/

 
At May 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM , Anonymous dorzidor said...

woww it's very awesome!!!!! you are so creative :)

 
At May 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Sangeetha Nimmagadda said...

lovely idea... i will surely try this!!
found and following you through bloghop, follow back if you like......

www.lipglossaffairs.blogspot.in

 
At May 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM , Anonymous Tea said...

Woah nice.
I'm going to have to try this. It's really awesome that you could use the product :)

 
At June 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM , Anonymous Claire said...

This is such a great idea, I'm suprised it worked so well. I might have to do the same with the shadows I got in my Lux Box too.Thanks for the tip! :) x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home