<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lolastarhearts.com
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lolastarhearts.com
! * LolaStar Hearts | UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog * !: Review: Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish - Or Cleanse and Rash?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish - Or Cleanse and Rash?


I’ve been putting this review off for a long time, (a) because I wanted the size effects of this product to completely disappear first, and (b), I’m about to give a ‘cult classic’ a negative review.


Not so long ago Red Magazine was offering a wonderful freebie, which I’m sure boosted their sales no end. It was a 30ml tube of Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish with a muslin cloth, worth a sweet £5.90.

I’ll spare you the running commentary on what it does and ‘what they say' because you’ve probably heard it all before.

Anyway.

I bought the magazine and honestly completely forgot about it so it was a while before I used it. This was complete fete as I was attending a wedding a little while after I got it, and if I’d been using the C&P I would have been completely mortified.

As much as I complain about my skin, the occasional whitehead/s, and not to mention the blemishes, I know that I’m really lucky. My skin is so resilient, and while certain products do break me out I can get away with quite a lot. At least I could until the dreaded Cleanse & Polish came along …

The first day I used the cleanser I immediately fell in love. I was worried that I’d have the same issues that I had with the Decleor Aroma Cleansing Mousse – blogged here – but it was honestly much better. All of my makeup was removed and my face felt really soft and smooth afterwards.

A few days later, and thankfully after the family wedding, I noticed some bumps above my top lip. I didn’t think anything of it as I thought it might have been heat rash – not that it had even been hot... That evening I did one of my trusted Sudocrem Face Masks, but when I woke up in the morning nothing had changed. As the days went by I started using less products on my face, as I was unsure what was causing the rash – however, C&P stayed firmly in my repertoire! If only I knew …

As more time passed the rash got worse and worse, makeup wasn’t hiding it and people had begun to notice that I looked like I was just hitting puberty! Since I’d switched back to old products and cut out anything I thought was even slightly irritating, something clicked that the Liz Earle could be responsible. I googled it and after an absolute age of searching through blog & website reviews of women gushing over it, I came across this post.
 

Sounds about right!

I’ll give Cleanse & Polish – and its fans –  its due; it is an amazing cleanser. It’s everything I look for in a makeup remover and does everything it says on the tin. But I’ll pass on the spots. Ta.


This is me a few days before the rash really took over – it got much worse unfortunately, and took about 10 days or so to clear up. Makeup didn’t cover it very well at all :(

Meet my hamster cheeks :)

Thankfully it was pretty much gone by the time my birthday shindig rolled around just under two weeks later, and what was left was easily covered with makeup.

I’m back to normal now with no lasting marks, however my face is a lot more sensitive than it used to be. I’m even worried to use my home microdermabrasion system just in case it’s too abrasive for my skin.

Anyone else on the ‘I Hate Cleanse & Polish’ bandwagon? Or are you a beloved fangirl? :)



Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At May 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM , Anonymous Rachael C (Pickle) said...

Hehe you're so cute! I've heard good things about the cleanser too. It's always nice to see a more honest review, it's good to know there's things we should keep an eye out for. My skin is prone to little hard white cysts anyway, I have them all year round. They aren't noticeable but I wouldn't want anything making them worse! xxx

 
At May 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM , Anonymous vikki measures said...

I was exactly the same. Except I posted my blog review after only using it the once. It made my skin so lovely and soft that I wanted to post my review straight away! And then came all of those horrible spots.. and I hadnt changed anything else in my skincare routine so it must be C&P :( I normally have pretty good skin, and this just made me break out!! :( xx

 
At May 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM , Anonymous Zara said...

I thought I was the only one who didn't like this either.  I loved the idea and made me skin feel soft but I developed under the skin spots on my cheeks that took forever to get rid of.  

Zara
x

 
At May 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM , Anonymous Kayleigh Giles-Johnson said...

Ouch, what a horrid reaction to have to such a popular product. I have to say I'm not a fan of Cleanse & Polish - it does what it says on the tin but no better than any other cleanser - and certainly not enough to make me splash the cash on it. Emma Hardie moringa cleansing balm is the best I've tried!

 
At May 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM , Anonymous Divi Beauty said...

Hi Lola... I am with you... Dermalogica Microfoliant is supposedly wonderful but I had the same reaction as you for Liz Earle so sometimes it happens... Liz earle C & P also dint do wonders to me.. I felt little greasy... although still I love it and secretly wish it works for me someday.. he he :)

 
At August 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM , Anonymous sue / essex said...

You should try the superdrug version also comes with muslin cloth only cost £2.99 same results no rash worth trying .

 
At August 31, 2012 at 9:28 PM , Anonymous Darren said...

Hi All.. I have been reading some of the comments here about the C&P I am a male and have come up in cyst like lumps and finding they are not going away very easily..
What I found was as I have quite dry skin when putting the cleanser on the face my skin had eaten it strait away after even using three pumps.. I don't think I shall be using this cleanser anymore which is a shame as I did like the product when first using it

 
At October 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow so glad I seen this. I bought liz Earle cleanser, toner and moisturiser last month and noticed small bumps along my forehead and now I have huge boil like spots on my chin but assume as it is all natural that it couldn't possibly be the products. Don't think I will be using them again waste of money :(

 
At February 23, 2014 at 12:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

i have just used the sample cleanser for the past week to try and clear up my acne...This product has caused the acne to come back with a vengeance and has also given me cyst like spots round my mouth and cheek- they are so hard and bumpy and it is painful to open my mouth. I would not recommend this. :( but what else can I use?

 
At August 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I feel so relieved I have just come across this post! I got a freebie C+P along with my ASOS delivery.. Used it and it brought my neck up in horrific eczema.. I put it down to stress because I was doing my final year exams. My skin has been hypersensitive ever since using it, and I have tried all sorts to try and help it, double-base cream not even helping. I stupidly used the C+P once again and this time I have small blister-like cysts all over what was once smooth skin. It's all over my forehead, eyelids, lips, cheeks, neck... EVERYWHERE. I certainly think that Liz Earle needs to recall this product as it seems many people are having the exact same issue with it that I have. I feel embarrassed to show my face and it's so itchy and painful :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home